Monday 30 May 2011

COLLEAGUES

How should I describe them. Well, personally, I have had many, and most of them are just, well, colleagues. None that I would really consider true friends, not in the way that friends would be loyal to you, and not betray your trust.

I, through out my working life have never had much luck with people. I seem to be offending, or being offended by them. Anyhow you would look at it, it seems that I just do not possess the people skills that is required to be liked.

I think these could probably be the few main reasons. Firstly, I am probably one of the most honest person I know (no kidding). When I like or dislike something, I would express it immediately without giving much thought of the consequences.

Secondly, I find my job to be rather different, and hence have on many occasions been branded as many things, such as lazy, too easy, nosy, etc. This I believe, stems from the core feeling of jealousy on the part of these colleagues ( I mean why are people so absorbed in what others are doing, can't they just mind their own business and do their work properly). Yes, my job is somewhat more relaxing than yours, so what, I am dong what I am paid to do and so are you. If you like my job so much than you should have applied for it, there is nothing to be jealous about, don't these fools get it. It is just like saying I'm jealous because the man is so rich. If you feel jealous than why don't you do something constructive about it, and follow his success formula.

Thirdly, it may be just perception, but I find that generally, I am hired because in the beginning, due to my lack of fluency in communication skills, am thought to be mediocre at best in what I do. However, as time passes more often than not, these people soon realize that they were wrong, and that I am actually pretty good at what I do. This realization sadly places me as a threat to them.

Anyway, there are plenty more, but as I have said, these are all my perceptions and I may be wrong, but I will leave you with an actual incident to judge for yourself. One day, as it was nearing lunch, I had asked some of my colleagues where they would like to go. They answered location B, and prompted me to go first as they were still busy with some work, to which I did. After a few minutes, as I was settling down with the food I ordered, I saw them, and quickly signalling them of my location in the shop. They then walked over, and suddenly another group came in and sat themselves down a few table away from me. These colleagues of mine then decided they also wanted to go join the other group, and left me high and dry, alone at the table where I sat. Do you think it is ok or appropriate to do such a thing? I for one have not forgiven them, and from that day onwards will never go or sit with them ever again.

1 comment:

Alice Phua said...

This goes on to show that they can never be good friends, let alone true friends with you. And when they smile or talk in a friendly manner with you, just take it at face value and know it that there's nothing really meaningful behind that 'pleasant face/gesture' during the normal office encounter with them.