Friday 10 June 2011

HIRING

A daunting task if you ask me. On the one hand you want the best, on the other you have to get someone who is best suited, not only for the job, but also the situations and the cultures that are running in the company you work in.

You may come across an excellent candidate which you truly think is good, but then after some probing, find out that what they want is totally the opposite of what the company does. So, how, should you go ahead, knowing very well that they will within a short period leave because of job dissatisfaction, or just push them aside as rejects.

Not an easy decision when you have just a handful of candidates to choose from. Just today, I had interviewed one such candidate. He was somewhat what I was looking for with sufficient knowledge and experience but the single answer that ended with me in this dilemma was "I like to be appreciated for what I do".I mean, yes, he would from me at least, but not from the company and that's for sure, because, by golly, I myself am getting none.

Companies and management gurus are forever telling people to motivate their staff, but, how to do this, when the problem lies with the company.

No comments: